Thursday, December 08, 2005

Training the Owner.

Ta-shi decided last night that I was in much need of play training! Lets set the scene. In Ta-shi's little doggy world certain people have certain commitments towards him. I for one am most definitely the pack leader, Alpha Female or she who must be obeyed! I am responsible for feeding and that means which order in the animal hierarchy they get fed as well as the actual food part. I require the cats to be in a higher status in the pack from the dog for reasons of peace and tranquility! So they are fed first Ta-shi see's this and is ordered not to touch their food, this he accepts unless he thinks I am not looking of course! Before the cats, we are fed so he realizes that at the end of the day I am top dog and BJ second in command.

Now because I am top dog I am not really considered a playmate! This is BJ's purpose in Ta-shi's life. He is happy for games of fetch with the ball when out for a walk with me but that is about it.

Bj plays exciting rough games with Ta-shi and he just LOVES it. The problem has arisen because BJ is working away from home for months and months and so Ta-shi is missing out on both games and peanuts again only BJ provides these.

Well Dogger decided that as his pack playmate is no longer available at 9pm every evening he had better train another.

So.... at nine o'clock precisely last night he brings 'Ha ha' to me and sits at my feet. I am required to throw it hard so it makes the mad ha ha noise as it lands. This I do, he looks at me pathetically as if to say 'is the the best you can do' and just strolls to fetch it back. OK, I think I will throw it up the stairs, this he likes better and breaks into a trot. I remember then that he likes to be tickled and gently bashed with his toy before it is launched at great speed towards the bookshelf, if it lands on a shelf he takes great delight in trying to jump high enough to get it, or to practice his 'door shutting' technique in order to get BJ to get it down for him.

I can see he is a little more impressed with me now, so we repeat the game over, and over ,and over again! He eventually gets very excited when I manage to launch Ha Ha onto the very top of the bookcase and have to get a chair to retrieve it.
Next minute Ha ha is abandoned and he arrives at my feet with 'Monkey' this toy has very long arms and legs and is a 'shaking the prey' sort of toy.
Ta-shi says 'Ok you have got the hang of that one, lets see if you can manage this' So I am lectured by my small dog how to play a decent game of tug, I think he was impressed as I was allowed onto the hallowed Telly Tubby toy which tummy squeaks, you MUST squeak before you throw otherwise you get the look of disdain.

All this went on for an hour, but I think I have passed the training, I have to wait and see If he allows me to play tonight at nine!

2 comments:

rach said...

So was I being trained on Friday then too?

young at heart said...

Oh yes! most definitley. But I think you passed your practical tests.