Monday, October 17, 2005

Let them eat cake

I had to go into Coventry City centre today, something I avoid at all costs Unless really necessary. For those who don't know it, it is square, grey and very depressing. I know it once was a beautiful place until the Germans bombed it. Sadly the 6o's had many things going for them architecter was not one of them. The best thing that could be done is to evacuate the whole place knock it down and start again.

However I digress! I decided to get a bite of lunch, so headed for the food court where all the upmarket eaterie's lie, you have Macdonalds, Kentucky, and spuds are us or something like that. Tucked in the middle of all this is a little place called Healthy Choice where you get served by very polite young people who do not indulge in the language of grunt.
I was beside another Lady in the Queue who was of advancing years and fairly well rounded.
she ordered a black coffee, 'any sugar Madam?' she was asked, 'Oh no my dear I have to watch my weight'. We exchanged smiles as I ordered the homemade tomato and herb soup with a fresh orange juice.
'would you like a cake or Muffin with your coffee?' asked the girl. The Lady hesitated ever so slightly before saying 'oh go on then I'll have one of those' She pointed to a huge cherry and chocolate flapjack.
She turned to me and my soup and said 'might as well while I can, the papers say we will all be dead with chicken flu by Christmas!'

I took my soup which I had thought would be delicious but turned out to be really gloopy and not much more flavour than dish water (not that I try that to often) I looked over in envy at the elderly Lady thoroughly enjoying her humungous flapjack. She was dead right, St Peter is not going to say 'sorry you can't come in here you ate to much cake!' is he.

I then headed for Woolworths to purchase some fabric dye and some navy cotton, I took the items to a cash point where the Lady scanned the dye £4.25 then tried to scan the cotton, it would not go through. She asked if I would read her the bar code numbers as she did not have her glasses with her. After much rummaging in my handbag I found mine and read the numbers out.
'That will be £9.09 please' she triumphantly announced.
'Pardon' I asked '£9.09' she repeated. I asked the price of the reel of navy cotton. I was told it was over £4.00. 'Its a reel of cotton' I said sure she must have it wrong, 'yes but it is our supreme range'. I was told
'Supreme! I want it to self thread and hem automatically at that price' I retorted. 'I take it you don't want it then' she said 'funny' she added 'you are not the first person to complain about the price today'.
Maybe they should check it out, it MUST be wrongly priced.

No comments: