Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Bit of Art and Culture (for a change)

We went a bit Arty Farty at the weekend (well… maybe not the latter!) as we not only went to the ballet but also to Birmingham’s art gallery and museum. We used to be regular ballet attendee’s, we both love it. In recent years we had lapsed for no particular reason really. So… we now have to get to know a whole new bunch of young energetic and very talented dancers with the Birmingham Royal Ballet. We saw a three set programme, The Four Seasons (very clever choreography) Nine Sinatra songs (Ballet meets Ballroom) and Pineapple Poll (exquisitely charming)

I just loved it from beginning to end, I love to be transformed to the fairy tale world, where boy meets girl, loving looks are exchanged and there is usually a ‘happy ever after’. Beauty of physical movement, strength and agility is part of the charm as well.

I can no longer book tickets for Swan lake, my all time favourite as BJ has refused to see that one again as I must of seen various company’s dance this at least ten times. My favourite being Matthew Bourne’s version, with men as swans. (Girls you ain’t seen nothing ‘til you’ve seen a man in feathery pantaloons!!!)

We also visited the Art gallery to see the exhibition ‘How to Save the World’.
Lots of contemporary stuff (which I like) Damien Hirst, Barbara Hepworth, David Hockney and many others. My favourite of the day was a Hockney of two abstract little boys with an arm around each other like best friends. Kind of reminded me of Rob and Paul his very bestest friend at one time when they were about 8 years old.

We finished the day with a very authentic Chinese meal at a place called Wagumama’s! The highlight being the sweet, a pavlova of raspberry tamarind and chilli! Yep… that’s right chilli! It was fabulous and absolutely worked delish, yummy.

Diet started Monday….

1 comment:

Devon said...

What a great weekend! I love anything that has to do with art... the stuff on the walls or performing. Don't see much at this phase in life.

My daughter was in the Nutcracker with the Sacramento Ballet Company when she was 8 years old. It was beautiful and amazing to see her perform in front of hundreds of people! She doesn't dance now... she changes her interests almost as fast as I do!!! :)