Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A Ronnie Barker Moment

A colleague and I had to pop into town at lunchtime yesterday to buy one of those birthday candles shaped in a number. It is the owner of our company's 60th birthday so we were dispatched to buy banners, balloons and the said candle for the obligatory birthday cake! We went to a little cake decorating shop which is charmingly old fashioned, wooden counter, parquet wood floor and a very helpful little lady. We stated our need, a 60th birthday candle! She proceeded to count out 60 separate little candles! Anne my colleague and a director of the company went positively pale as she thought of risk assessments and fire regulations of 60 candles on a cake in our listed 1920's 'art deco building. I stood there trying to suppress my mirth and resisting the urge to ask for fork handles and some O's.

On a different subject altogether as I was driving to work I listened to an astounding news report. Not sure if it was a government department or a health authority being quoted, but the item was that it was suggesting that special rooms should be set up so that heroin addicts can go and shoot up safely with clean needles and under supervision. Did I miss another report maybe that they have let all the lunatics out of the asylum? (oh no sorry of course we have, we went and elected them didn't we) Why stop here, lets set up a special supermarket where shoplifters can do their stealing in safety and without fear of prosecution. While we are at it maybe a dimly lit car park for effect so that car thieves can go nab a few vehicles without being tackled by those annoying little owners who dash out of their homes to protect their hard earned motors and get attacked for their sheer cheek. The possibilities are endless.

Mrs Meldrew signing off!!!

2 comments:

rach said...

Its a bit nuts isn't it? Although I have to say I can understand the line of thinking that is "If they are going to do it anyway, may as well make sure it is safe"? Guess it depends how it is managed and whether, by going to a safe room, you get support for breaking the addiction?

young at heart said...

Rach, I am getting cynical in my old age!