Thursday, January 11, 2007

Hilight of 2006

It was a bit of a hardwork, not enough play year in many ways. However the absolute hilight for me was a very wet September morning high in the Abruzzo National Park Italy! We had set out for a walk from the little village of Pescasseroli and wound our way up to the castle ruins way above the little village lying in the valley below. As we were nearing the summit some sirens rang out from the little hamlet of pescasseroli, suddenly from the forest across the valley a good few wolves started to howl, it was incredible! I longed to see one of these fabulous creatures and scanned the hillside with binoculars but could not see them. I can say that I have heard real live wild wolves in their natural habitat.
As we continued our walk that morning a horrendous thunderstorm started so we sheltered in the castle ruins and watched as the storm tracked across the valley below. I have never before seen lightning flash below me, quite an exciting morning. We arrived back at the Hotel a few hours later soaked to the very skin but totally exhilerated! My beach loving, sun soaking colleagues think I am quite mad.

We were later told that the pack is about 20 strong so probably good that they were across the valley. However a German couple had seen a wolf cross the very path we were walking the day before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there and happy new year! I loved your best of 2006! The wolves howing is a dream of mine, how wonderful!

Hope you are doing great. Things are good and not too busy, that is the way I like it!!

I did some upgrades to my blog and am finally able to get it up and going! It is embarassing how long it takes me to figure blogging things out!