Sunday, January 14, 2007

A Friend who drifted in and out of my life in one evening!

We had a very interesting night out on Friday; again we went to the local Theatre. This time it was a Viennese evening, with music and dancing from the Strauss era.

The music and vocals were fabulous, the dancing abysmal and the costumes just awful! It looked as if the tatty evening dresses had been pulled out of a Tesco’s carrier bag five minutes before the performance. It probably did not help thet we were in the front row and could see all the glitches perfectly. However despite that we had a tremendously fun evening mainly due to a fabulous elderly man and his son who came and sat in the two spare seats next to us for the second half.

The first half of the performance I was sitting next to another old guy, who, frankly smelt dreadful, he could not sit still which made the pong worse he kept wafting his legs around which meant that the obvious incontinent problem was drifting constantly in my direction. I was so far over on my seat trying to avoid the aroma that I was almost sitting on Barry’s lap, he in turn thought I was being amorous and affectionally held my hand and snuggled into me. He was a little disappointed when at the interval over a much needed G+T I explained the problem. Like a gentleman he insisted on swapping places for the next half.
As we made our way back we realised two people had moved from further back to sit in the seats the other side of us, another elderly man was going to be sitting next to me!

This Guy made our night out a night to remember, he was a total delight and a fellow Kinsman quite literally as his name was Mr. Kingsman and he was Austro/ Hungarian (like my ancestors) he was very proud to tell me he was 86 years old, and he had the most beautiful smiley face with twinkly eyes, just how my Dad would of looked if he was still with us. (Actually he would have been 86 as well if he had lived)
This outing was a Christmas treat from his Son, Mr Kingsman new all the words to all the songs in both English and German, and sang them gustily with a most beautiful voice. His son tried to apologise and told him not to sing, but I told him it was fine with me, just let the guy have his fun. He was fabulous, we sat and chatted after the performance and I gave my new friend our programme, as he had not seen where to buy one. We parted with him giving me a big hug and kiss. I will probably never see him again but he made the evening very memorable with his total enthusiasm.

Oh, and he smelt wonderful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a thing called eternity and they say we all live for eternity so maybe Grandad was just popping in to say hello?

We need some personalities in our audience at work for Lord of the Dance are lifeless.

Devon said...

What a fun evening...even the bad aroma. At least you won't forget about it anytime soon!