Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Name or address?

I did not set out to watch the Grand National, I just happenend to be in front of the TV when it came on. It is not a race I wholly like as I feel it is far to demanding on the beasts, to many get injured and often (as on Saturday) one or more literally don't make it to the end at all (shot on the course due to severity of injury)

Well I got drawn into it as I lounged on the sofa and admired the fearless jockeys (still aching from my own efforts as a rodeo rider)on their all to beautiful steeds and then they were off! But no, false start, so back they came. Then they were really off, pounding hell for leather for two circuits of the Aintree course. The jumps were aimed at some jumped, some appeared to run through them, some horses just said "actually no, I don't think so , do you!" and were pulled up, on the rest went.

At the last two fences it was about a four horse race and BJ was convinced that HedgeHunter was about to win for a second year. Nope! I said he is tiring, watch that horse with the sheepskin noseband, he has been held back to a fast canter most of the way and is still fresh, I think he will take it! Mind you I wished the horse had stopped and turned around to the jockey and said "Will you PLEASE stop hitting me with that stick thingy, I am running as fast as I bloody well can!" (Surprised the jockey was not disqualified for over use of the whip. I just wish I had put a few squid on Numbersixvalverde! But then possibly against my principles. Good idea to call a horse after your address, unfortunately mine does not have such romantic zing to it.

Changing the subject, I fell over today, what a muppet, I still have sore ribs from falling of a horse, and I managed to trip up a kerb while walking the dog. I went down with a real thwack and I am quite sure I heard my poor body call out "Oh no not again" as the hard pavement came up to meet it! I furtively looked about to make sure no-one had seen me and got up quickly and hobbled off!

1 comment:

iamahatter9 said...

I have won on the National 4 years on the bounce but did not bet this year due to work. I have a tried and tested method of which horse to back. When my friend told me he had backed hedgehunter I called him a fool as the favourite never wins also a horse never wins back to back nationals.

I won't give away my method but I explained that Numbersixvalverde would come in 1st or 2nd and was well worth £10 each-way. I tried betting online from work but the silly IT dept block gambling sites.