Sunday, March 19, 2006

Blondie goes to Penny Lane!

As BJ is working away almost continuously, I thought it would be good to go and visit the fair city of Liverpool and spend an evening with him! I planned it meticulously sorting out a kennel to take Ta-shi too that was conveniently located to the motorway, sorting out the cats and arranging a fun time for us in Beatle land!

I found a nice looking restaurant on the internet, I have to admit I chose it for it's location than any other reason, it was on Penny Lane and to my great excitement was indeed next to a Barber Shop, and across the road from a bank and near a florist! Ok the barber shop did not have pictures of every head ever shaved, I saw no banker in the pouring rain and the girl in the florists did not look like a nurse, and as for fish and finger pie, no... I was like a big kid and felt I was walking through a song, marvelous, marvelous. I can totally recommend 'The Ark' to eat in,see www.arkrestaurant.co.uk
It was totally superb. The food was all homemade, right down to the icecream desserts. The service was impeccable and the atmosphere all candlelit and intimate, It was so good I expected Gordon F**@#! Ramsay to step out of the kitchen any minute.

The weekend started with a Blonde disaster that has so far exceeded anything else stupid I have done in my life , and believe me they have been many and varied! I had spent Saturday morning dashing about getting ready to leave at about lunchtime, I popped down to the shops to buy a new outfit for my dinner date, rushed back, packed my bag, packed Ta-shi's bag sorted out the cats and left. I dropped Ta-shi off at the kennels and hacked up the motorway for a bit, then stopped for a toilet break. As I washed my hands I looked in the mirror and thought , Oh I did not put my dainty earrings in the bag. I was wearing ethnic dangly ones that would not really go with my outfit for the evening. I then had an "Oh my God" moment as it dawned on me that my suitcase was neatly packed and still standing by the front door!!! (on the inside folks)
I was totally panicked, I did not have time to go back for it as I was nearer to Liverpool than Coventry, but I literally had with me just what I was standing up in.
I decided to continue on my journey not sure whether to laugh or cry (so I did both, seemed fair in the circumstances).

Well, every cloud has a silver lining, as I joined the M62 I noticed a big shopping outlet just off Junction 9, so I left the Motorway at the junction and I swear I found the biggest Marks and Spencer in the World and possibly the Universe. The plastic had a bit of a bashing as I purchased a new outfit to 'Wow' my husband with, emergency underwear and then discovered a Boots to deal with all the other things a woman needs for a weekend away. So... I ended up with two new outfits, Ok one is unworn as yet, and yes it has cost me a fortune , but boy did I have a great weekend!

I had another 'Blonde' moment on Sunday morning at breakfast, the waiter asked me how I would like my eggs? I just stared at him in bewilderment, all I could think of was 'medium' like a steak! Barry helped me out by saying he would like his fried! Of course fried or scrambled. Doh! Barry has been calling me Debbie Aka Debbie Harry of Blondie fame. Richly deserved I am afraid.

As I had a couple of hours to spare Sunday morning I took a drive into the city centre. I found 'The Beatles Story' and thought it would round of my trip nicely. No wonder it is an award winning attraction, it is a MUST for Beatle fans.
A total recreation of the Cavern club was one of the attractions, as I walked into the Cavern 'Twist and Shout' started, it was all I could do not to dance! I was blown away, the atmosphere was awesome. I walked through a 'Yellow Submarine' and a 'Magical Mystery Tour', all with the aid of a headphone commentary that could be started and stopped at will. I had to keep stopping mine to listen to the music. A recreation of Abbey road studio's as it would of been in the Sixties.

The tour culminated with the 'John Lennon' room, centre stage was his iconic real Gold Glasses, a movie of lot's of dreadful war shots, including that poor little girl that was hit by nepalm in the Vietnam conflict in the background Johns voice quietly singing 'Love Is' So has anything changed? No we still think it's Ok to maim and kill...
The last and most moving room was a perfect recreation of 'The White Room' where John wrote 'Imagine' Felt really strange coming out into 2006 I was gone man, solid gone!.....

3 comments:

rach said...

Wow, sounds fab! Can't think of any appropriate Beatle lyrics puns so you'll have to insert your own!

And what a great excuse for shopping too! Nice one.

If you wanna play while BJ is away, let us know. Mrs Henderson is out on video now...

iamahatter9 said...

I read your blog today oh boy, a son of yours is most annoyed.

He couldn't come with you to beatle land.

Now is he jealous or he is sad?

He wasn't really sure but he was pleased for his Mum and Dad,

I'd love to go wo wo wo wo wo one day!

iamahatter9 said...

Comment before was meant as a parody of 'A Day in the Life'.

Anyway I put a dedication to your weekend on Myspace, not sure if it will work for you without broadband.

www.myspace.com/robinowenspace